All over the world, including here in the United States, millions of orphans are waiting, longing for a forever family to take them home. However, adoption can cost between $10,000, and $45,000, and many families with room in their hearts and homes are unable to overcome the financial barriers. Show Hope recognizes this need to help defray the expenses of adoption and get children into forever families. The United States Adoption Tax Credit currently provides up $12,650 to adoptive families. However, the Adoption Tax Credit is set to expire at the end of 2012. If Congress does not act, the size and applicability of this tax credit will shrink dramatically.
If the adoption tax credit helped you or someone you know to adopt a child, or if it could help you in the future to adopt a child, please call your House Representative today and urge that he or she cosponsor the bipartisan bill H.R. 4373, the Making Adoption Affordable Act. You can reach your Representative by calling the U.S. Capitol Operator at 202-225-3121 and asking for your Representative’s office. If you don’t know your Representative’s name, click here and enter your zip code in the box provided.
As you call your Representative, consider sharing these messages:
• I am a constituent in your district and the adoption tax credit is important to me because…
• I urge the Representative to become a co-sponsor of The Making Adoption Affordable Act, H.R. 4373.
• If Congress does not act – the credit as we now know it – will expire in December 2012.
• H.R. 4373 is bipartisan and it supports all types of adoptions (domestic private, foster care, and international adoptions).
• This tax credit has made adoption a more viable option for many parents who might not otherwise have been able to afford adoption, allowing them to provide children with loving, permanent families.
• Thank you for your support of H.R. 4373.
Thank you for taking a few minutes to make this important phone call!